- Step 1: Tell them about your superior vision Inform the killjoys that video game playing improves hand-eye coordination and visual perception. One study found that surgeons who played games for more than three hours a week made 37% fewer errors than their non-playing colleagues.
- Step 2: Boast that you're a problem solver Boast that playing video games has sharpened your thinking. It has made you a better problem solver, improved your ability to analyze situations, prioritize, make decisions, work out compromises, and manage resources.
- TIP: Remind people that the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency uses video games to train spies to think critically.
- Step 3: Point out your quicker reflexes Point out that gaming has given you faster reflexes. Many professional race-car drivers hone their skills at the console.
- TIP: If you play video games that require physical movement, like Dance Dance Revolution, be sure to mention that you're burning 300 to 500 calories an hour!
- Step 4: Tell them you're a great multitasker Tell them that video games help people become adept at monitoring and juggling several tasks simultaneously, a valuable skill in real life.
- Step 5: Cite the mental health benefits Cite the mental health benefits of gaming. Research shows that video games are a great stress reducer and mood booster for many players.
- FACT: One study found that when it comes to owning their own video gaming console, women outnumber men 44% to 39%.
You Will Need