- Step 1: Establish body and head Draw an elongated oval for the body, creating a slight bulge at the upper left of the oval. Overlap a smaller circle at the top right of the oval for the monkey’s head.
- Step 2: Add legs Draw a sideways pear shape inside the lower left of the oval as the seated monkey's hindquarter and leg.
- TIP: Remember that a monkey's fingers and toes look like human fingers.
- Step 3: Add arms Add banana shapes for arms, placing the shoulder portion of the arm which is in full view at the center of the oval, slightly below the head, and a smaller version to its right.
- Step 4: Add ears and face Draw triangles at each side of the monkey’s head for ears. Add a rounded heart shape to the front of the head, drawing the eyes, nostrils and mouth inside it.
- TIP: Like a human face, a monkey face is symmetrical with forward-facing eyes.
- Step 5: Add tail Draw a long, snake-like tail, extending it from the monkey's spine, and curving it above the head. The length of the tail will depend on the monkey species you choose to draw.
- TIP: Drawing the monkey’s surroundings will add interest to your sketch.
- Step 6: Erase guidelines and shade Erase unwanted guidelines, smoothing line contours. Shade shadowed areas for realism and your monkey will look ready for jungle antics.
- FACT: Did you know? The cry of the howler monkey can travel three miles through thick vegetation.
You Will Need
- A graphite pencil
- An eraser