- Step 1: Know your words Know when an accent mark is required for a word you are using in your document. If you are unsure, consult a dictionary.
- TIP: Microsoft Word will automatically accent some words that require accent marks in English, but don’t rely on it to correct them all.
- Step 2: Highlight the letter Highlight the letter requiring the accent mark. Click the Insert tab, and then click on Symbol.
- Step 3: Scroll Scroll through the dialogue box that appears until you have located the letter-accent mark combination you want. Highlight it, and click Insert to add the character to your document. Then click Close to close the dialogue box.
- Step 4: Learn shortcuts on a PC For accent marks you use often, learn keyboard shortcuts. On a PC, hold down the Control key, plus the letter A, C, E, I, O, U, N, or the tilde key, depending on the accent you want to add.
- Step 5: Learn shortcuts on a Mac On a Mac, hold down the Alt key plus the letter A, C, E, I, O, U, N, or the tilde key, depending on the accent you want to add.
- FACT: Did you know? In Spanish, a main function of accent marks is to indicate exceptions to pronunciation rules.
You Will Need
- A computer
- A word that needs an accent mark
- Microsoft Word