- Step 1: Locate your Medicaid office Find your local Medicaid office by searching on the internet or by calling Medicare at 1-800-633-4227, and make an appointment.
- TIP: Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid. Make sure to clearly explain your situation when making an appointment.
- Step 2: Bring the necessary paperwork Bring your identification, Social Security card, proof of address, proof of income and bank statements, and medical bills to your appointment.
- TIP: Each state's eligibility requirements and application processes vary, so make sure you ask if there are state-specific things you should bring to your appointment.
- Step 3: Fill out application Fill out the Medicaid application. You may have to fill it out in the office, although some states also let you apply on the internet, by telephone, or in person at other locations.
- Step 4: Get interviewed Attend your appointment and answer all questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge. Be prepared to answer financial questions.
- Step 5: Wait for the decision Wait for a decision, which you will receive in the mail. If you've been granted Medicaid, your coverage may apply retroactively to three months prior to your application. You're on your way to better health!
- FACT: Did you know? More than 45 million Americans under the age of 65 were without health insurance in 2007.
You Will Need
- A computer with internet access
- A phone
- Proof of address
- Proof of income
- Bank statements
- Medical bills