- Step 1: Get a heads-up Increase your odds of seeing a celebrity by checking celebrity-sighting websites. You'll learn where they like to hang out, and might even get a heads-up about where a favorite star is right now.
- Step 2: Remain calm When you see a celeb, don't freak out! The goal is to stay cool so you can stick around and observe as long as possible. Pretend to be so engrossed in something else that you don't even notice them.
- TIP: Can't contain yourself? Use text to share your excitement discreetly.
- Step 3: Keep your distance Remain a respectable distance from the star while you plot your next move. There are a lot of crazies out there, and you don't want to scare the celebrity away.
- Step 4: Get some photos Decide whether you can get away with some stealth pictures or video to document your close encounter. But beware -- if you're hoping to actually approach the celeb next, they're not going to be too happy if you've just been playing the part of paparazzi.
- TIP: Seeing is believing: If your phone has live video share, prove your sighting in real time.
- Step 5: Time your approach If you decide to approach the celebrity, choose an opportune moment, like as they're preparing to leave. No one appreciates being interrupted.
- Step 6: Be polite and original Be polite and complimentary, but try to say something sincere and at least mildly original.
- TIP: Never tell a celebrity they look younger, thinner, or better looking in person. They'll just hear that they look old, fat, and ugly on-screen.
- Step 7: Request a favor If the celebrity seems friendly, ask for a favor, like for them to sign an autograph or pose for a photo.
- Step 8: Blend right in By now you should probably say thanks and leave the celebrity alone. Unless, of course, you really want to press your luck... in which case, throw on a pair of sunglasses, adopt an "I belong" attitude, and try to blend in with the celebrity's entourage.
- FACT: When it comes to autographs, Johnny Depp was voted the "Best Signer" in a poll by Autograph Magazine.
You Will Need
- A cell phone