- Step 1: Remove the tent from its carrying bag Open the tent bag. Remove the tent and other parts, such as pegs, guy wires, or waterproof fly.
- TIP: Practice setting the tent up at home before your camping trip.
- Step 2: Remove the restraining straps for a spring-action tent Grasp the edge of the tent and the internal support wires firmly for a spring-action tent. Remove the restraining straps. The tent erects itself automatically as a dome.
- Step 3: Expand the ribs of an umbrella tent Place your weight on the top of an umbrella tent, forcing its series of flexible ribs to bow outwards. The expanded tent pops into place in a dome shape.
- TIP: Collapsed umbrella tents are long and thin, like beach umbrellas.
- Step 4: Secure the tent on the ground Position the tent on the ground, and secure it with pegs and guy wires as described in the tent manufacturer’s instructions.
- Step 5: Attach a tent fly Attach a tent fly if there is any chance of rain.
- FACT: Did you know? Portions of the tents used by George Washington’s troops during the last major battle of the American Revolution are exhibited at the National Museum of American History.
You Will Need
- A pop-up tent
- A carrying bag with set-up equipment
- Guy wires
- A waterproof tent fly
- Support wires and restraining straps
- Manufacturer's instructions