- Step 1: Spend time with your child Spend time with your child. Get involved with every aspect of their lives: school, sports, friends, etc.
- Step 2: Agree on rules Discuss and agree on rules and disciplinary actions with anyone helping you raise your child. Disciplinary contradictions can only confuse your child.
- Step 3: Stay calm Create an environment full of positive reinforcement. Avoid hostile behavior at all costs, and calmly discuss troubling situations
- Step 4: Take charge Remind your child that you are the parent and they are the child.
- TIP: Do not play the role of your child’s friend. You are the parent and should demonstrate your authority.
- Step 5: Create consequences Teach your child the meaning of good behavior. Create consequences for bad as well as good behavior.
- Step 6: Don’t give in Don’t give in to your child’s wishes once you have expressed your stand.
- Step 7: Take care of yourself Eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep to deal with the heavy load of everyday parenting.
- FACT: Did you know? In 2007, 18 percent of American children lived in poverty
You Will Need
- Disciplinary rules
- Positive reinforcement
- A Healthy diet
- A healthy sleep regimen