- : Never change your diet without first consulting your physician.
- Step 1: Eat healthy Eat a well-balanced diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein.
- TIP: Add healthy unsaturated fats such as nuts, vegetable oils, and avocados for extra calories.
- Step 2: Count calories Make a log to track your calorie intake. Follow the food guide pyramid, which will provide you with a 2,000-calorie intake plan.
- TIP: Drink protein shakes between meals for added calories and nutrients.
- Step 3: Train with weights Include a workout that uses all major muscle groups. Lifting weights will increase muscle mass and add weight.
- TIP: Consult a personal trainer to get you started.
- Step 4: Reduce stress Reduce stress by walking, getting a massage, or getting more sleep. Stress can cause people to lose their appetite.
- Step 5: Consult a registered dietitian Consult a registered dietitian if you continue to have trouble keeping weight on.
- FACT: Did you know? The USDA released the MyPyramid food guidance system in 2005, which updated the traditional USDA food pyramid.
You Will Need
- A balanced diet
- A calorie log
- Weight training
- Reduced stress
- Protein shakes (optional)
- Personal trainer (optional)