- : Wear safety glasses when cutting and installing laminate flooring.
- Step 1: Remove the old floor Remove your old floor and baseboards. Prep your subfloor by making sure it's flat and free of any debris.
- Step 2: Measure your floor Measure the area you want to cover.
- Step 3: Install the underlayment Install your underlayment. This will cushion the floor and reduce noise.
- TIP: Some laminate will have the underlayment attached. Check with the retailer to determine the best material.
- Step 4: Lay the laminate Lay the laminate along the room's longest wall. Leave a quarter inch around the perimeter between the laminate and the wall to account for expansion.
- Step 5: Stagger the laminate Stagger the laminate and use a rubber mallet to fit the pieces together snugly.
- TIP: Undercut or cut away a slice of the casing from the bottom of the door so that the flooring can slip underneath. Use a piece of the laminate to measure the necessary height of the undercut.
- Step 6: Install molding Install your molding around the perimeter. Step back, take a look, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- FACT: Because of superstition, many hotels have no official 13th floor. Floor numbers go from 12th to 14th.
You Will Need
- Safety glasses
- Measuring tape
- Laminate flooring
- Rubber mallet