- Step 1: Brainstorm Come up with an idea for a story. Start with what you know; then move to what you don't know to draw inspiration.
- TIP: Read as many short stories as you can to get a feel for the style.
- Step 2: Outline Gather your thoughts and write an outline. Develop your protagonist, or main character. Determine who you are writing about and how you want to tell their story.
- Step 3: Write Write your story either on paper or using a computer. Create a problem that your protagonist has to solve. This problem may be internal or external.
- Step 4: Add detail Add details so that your story is one your readers care about. Use vivid descriptions.
- TIP: Bring a notebook with you everywhere you go so you can write down ideas as they come to you.
- Step 5: Resolve Include events that lead to a resolution of the problem. Resolve the story and enjoy the output of your creative energy.
- FACT: Did you know? Master storyteller Edgar Allen Poe's first short story, "Metzengerstein," was published in the Philadelphia Saturday Courier in 1832.
You Will Need
- Computer (optional)
- Notebook (optional)