- Step 1: Choose a firm tofu Choose tofu marked firm or extra firm. This will give you a more meat-like texture.
- TIP: Freezing tofu will give it a firmer but chewier texture.
- Step 2: Press and drain tofu Press the tofu and drain it of excess water by wrapping it in a towel and placing a heavy weight on top of it. This will allow it to crumble more easily.
- Step 3: Season or marinate Season the tofu with your favorite spice blend, or marinate it in your favorite dressing or barbecue sauce.
- TIP: Tofu is naturally bland and will absorb any added flavoring from seasoning and sauces.
- Step 4: Use in sauces or stews Replace the meat in spaghetti sauce, stroganoff, tacos, or stews with crumbled tofu.
- Step 5: Grill or pan-fry Grill or pan-fry the tofu for a great charred flavor and crunchy texture – your family will never know the difference.
- FACT: Did you know? The world consumes about 280 million tons of meat per year.
You Will Need
- Barbecue sauce