- : Never change your diet or attempt to do any exercise or exercise plan without first consulting your physician.
- Step 1: Calculate your body mass index Calculate your body mass index (BMI) by multiplying your weight in pounds by 705, and then dividing the product by your height in inches squared.
- Step 2: Evaluate your BMI score Compare your BMI: a BMI between 19 and 25 is in the normal range. If your BMI is between 25 and 29, you are considered overweight and if your BMI is over 29, you are considered obese.
- Step 3: Decide your ideal weight Decide your ideal weight and determine how much weight you would like to gain or lose, using the BMI, common sense, and your doctor’s advice.
- TIP: Avoid dieting unless you are seriously overweight or have medical reason for losing weight (such as having high blood pressure or being at high risk of heart disease).
- Step 4: Develop healthy eating and physical activity habits Develop healthy eating and physical activity habits to maintain a stable weight when you have achieved your ideal weight.
- FACT: Two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese.
You Will Need
- A calculator
- Your doctor
- Common sense
- Healthy eating and physical activity habits