- Step 1: Blow dry Blow-dry your hair completely straight and follow with a flat iron. Ratting wavy or curly hair may tangle or damage it.
- Step 2: Detangle Brush your hair thoroughly with a boar bristle brush to remove tangles. Make sure your hair is cool before styling.
- Step 3: Start at the crown Section your hair into 2-inch sections at the crown and clip the rest back out of the way. Spray hairspray on the sections to be teased.
- Step 4: Backcomb Hold the section straight up in the air with one hand. With the other hand, use a rattail or metal comb to comb hair near the roots downward toward the scalp in short strokes along the backside of hair. Repeat for all sections.
- TIP: Prevent damage to overworked hair by using a gentle, flat-backed, natural bristle brush instead of a comb.
- Step 5: Smooth and spray Smooth the teased sections with the brush and set with a generous amount of hairspray.
- Step 6: Style Play with different styles. Curl the ends and wear a headband for a 60s, retro look or pull it back into a more modern and glamorous low ponytail with a coated elastic band.
- FACT: High hair was all the rage in the sixties. The 1760s, that is. Marie Antoinette took it to new heights, wearing elaborate hairstyles that lifted her hair 3 feet.
You Will Need
- A blow dryer
- A flat iron
- A boar bristle brush
- Hair clips
- Hair spray
- A rattail or metal comb
- A headband
- A coated elastic band