- Step 1: Find My Computer Click on the Start button and then on My Computer.
- Step 2: Navigate to C: drive properties Right-click on the icon labeled Local Disk (C:) and select Properties.
- Step 3: Select the defragmenter Select the Tools tab from the Properties menu and click on the Defragment Now button.
- TIP: Alternatively, click the Start button, and then navigate through All Programs, Accessories and System Tools to get to Disk Defragmenter.
- Step 4: Analyze fragmentation Click the Analyze button in the Disk Defragmenter window to analyze the extent of fragmentation. Decide whether to continue with defragmentation based on the computer’s recommendation.
- Step 5: Start defragmentation Click on the Defragment button if you wish to continue and patiently wait for the operation to complete.
- TIP: Perform this operation when you are not using your computer – it can take several hours.
- Step 6: Restart your computer Restart your computer after the operation has completed and enjoy a bit more speed when accessing your files.
- FACT: Did you know? IBM invented the first magnetic hard drive in 1956. It consisted of 50 21-inch disks and had a capacity of just five megabytes.
You Will Need
- A Windows PC