- Step 1: Understand Burning Man There are no spectators at Burning Man. Everyone is welcome, and everyone can participate. It's not about taking it all in, but sharing something of yourself.
- TIP: Burning Man operates according to 10 principles, which range from "Radical Inclusion" to "Leaving No Trace." Read about them at burningman.com.
- Step 2: Get a group together Gather your most adventurous friends together and plan a theme camp. Your camp should in some way provide a communal space or activity for people to participate in.
- TIP: Keep it simple. Concepts that are too large or complex tend to fall apart.
- Step 3: Join a theme camp You can also participate in someone else's camp. A theme camp can be dedicated to anything. Find one that speaks to you.
- Step 4: Build an art installation Got an idea for a giant work of art you'd like to burn at the end of the week? Take the lead and invite others.
- TIP: It's not required, but if you'd like to get your theme camp or art installation publicized on the Burning Man map, you'll need to register it. Forms and deadlines are on the Burning Man website.
- Step 5: Perform All of Burning Man is a stage, and everyone is invited to perform. What's your skill? Dance? Music? Playing with fire? There are no limits -- other than safety.
- Step 6: Volunteer Besides participating in a theme camp or helping build an art installation, you can also take advantage of the many volunteer opportunities, from building the city to handing out condoms.
- FACT: Did you know?So many people attend Burning Man that, for that one week, Black Rock City qualifies as Nevada's 7th-largest city.
You Will Need
- A willingness to participate
- A desire to share
- A spirit of collective responsibility