- Step 1: Admit it Tell your boss you messed up without delay. It will be worse if they hear it later from someone else.
- Step 2: Take it like an adult Take full responsibility. Don't try to explain it, minimize it, or justify it. Just say you're sorry and move on to damage control.
- TIP: Don't be a tattle. The boss will admire you for your maturity, and you'll win points with colleagues for taking one for the team.
- Step 3: Offer solutions Explain how you're going to correct the problem. If it's something that's not easily remedied, offer several options.
- TIP: Let your boss know you'll make the necessary fixes on your own time so there's no further loss of productivity.
- Step 4: Learn from your mistake Tell your boss what you've learned from your mistake, and assure them it won't happen again.
- Step 5: Move on Move forward. Trust us: No one is thinking about your blunder nearly as much as you are!
- FACT: Did you know? Twenty-eight percent of U.S. workers polled said lack of sleep causes them to make mistakes at work.
You Will Need
- An apology