- Step 1: Take classes Take both the mat classes and the classes that use the specially designed Pilates machine to gain experience.
- Step 2: Decide on certification Decide whether you want to be certified to teach mat classes or the comprehensive certification, which includes the equipment.
- TIP: Start with the mat certification, and then get your own Pilates equipment to study further.
- Step 3: Study Study the human body and practice form and movement as well as Pilates principles.
- Step 4: Register Register for one or both of the certification tests. Make sure you have studied because the tests are expensive.
- TIP: Search online for study materials and testing centers.
- Step 5: Assist Assist a certified teacher before you teach alone. You will gain the practical experience you need to get a job.
- FACT: Joseph Pilates developed the exercise program to overcome his childhood ailments of asthma, rickets, and rheumatic fever.
You Will Need
- Pilates equipment (optional)
- Internet access (optional)