- Step 1: Slice the top muscle Hold the oyster in your hand with the curved side down and the hinge pointing away from you. Insert the oyster knife halfway between the hinge and the lip and sweep the knife back and forth to cut the muscle attached to the top of the shell.
- Step 2: Open the shell Pull the shell open with your hands. If you're unable to pull it open after the muscle has been cut, pry it open with the knife.
- Step 3: Cut the bottom muscle Stick the oyster knife under the body of the oyster and sweep it back and forth to cut the muscle attaching the body to the bottom shell.
- TIP: Add a dash lemon juice and hot sauce to each oyster to enhance the flavor.
- Step 4: Eat the oyster Hold the oyster as in step one and slide it out of the shell and into your mouth using gravity, your teeth, or the oyster knife.
- FACT: Did you know? Oysters are a "keystone" species, meaning they provide habitat for others, and improve water quality.
You Will Need
- An oyster knife
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)