- Step 1: Cut the bottle Cut off the top of the bottle just below the break in the bottle's shoulder. Discard the cap and set the top part aside.
- Step 2: Place the bait Place the meat into the bottom of the bottle.
- TIP: You can use anything that attracts flies, so experiment with different baits.
- Step 3: Invert the top of the bottle Invert the top part of the bottle and insert it into the top half, creating a funnel. Tape or glue the pieces together.
- Step 4: Attach the hanger Straighten the hanger with the pliers and insert the ends into either side of the bottle, poking them through the plastic. Add tape or glue to make it more stable.
- Step 5: Set the trap Select a location to hang the trap. The flies will fly in to get the bait, but will not be able to fly back out.
- FACT: Fruit flies feed on the juice and the yeast growing on rotting fruit.
You Will Need
- An empty plastic 2-liter bottle
- A small piece of meat soaked in water
- Tape or glue
- A metal hanger
- Other bait (optional)