- Step 1: Brainstorm Brainstorm a list of phrases that describe you and cross off any cliches or catch phrases. Keep only the most unique and honest statements.
- Step 2: Craft a description Craft a description of qualifications that you can share in 30 seconds or less.
- TIP: Write the pitch like you speak. This will make it easier to deliver and make it sound more authentic.
- Step 3: Practice Practice your pitch on friends and family. Ask for feedback and adjust your pitch. It will become natural by doing it over and over.
- TIP: Use a mirror to pitch yourself. If you can't look yourself in the eye, how can you engage someone else?
- Step 4: Make it about them Make your pitch about the needs of your listener. Talk about the problems facing their industry that you are uniquely positioned to solve.
- Step 5: Describe your value Describe your value in solving these problems.
- Step 6: Allow room for dialogue Allow room for dialogue. Most people don't like to be talked at, so be conversational and show an interest in them.
- Step 7: Ask for something Ask for something – a business card, a phone call, or permission to send your resume. The point of your pitch is to break the ice and generate interest, but you need to ask for the next step.
- FACT: Did you know? As of 2009, the Taipei Financial Center in Taiwan featured the world's fastest elevator, running at a top speed of 39 miles per hour.
You Will Need
- Skills or ideas
- A list of descriptive phrases
- A description of your qualifications
- Mirror (optional)