- Step 1: Measure the water Add one and a half cups water for every cup of white rice, or two cups water for every cup of brown rice, to a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Step 2: Bring to a boil Bring the water to a rolling boil. Add one tablespoon olive oil or butter for body and flavor.
- TIP: For fluffier rice, rinse before cooking. This removes excess starch but also washes away some vitamins and minerals.
- Step 3: Stir Add the rice and stir. Cook for one minute. Then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Step 4: Simmer white rice for 16-18 minutes or 35-40 minutes for brown rice.
- TIP: Don't peek! Leave the lid on as much as possible to avoid losing steam, which is what cooks the rice.
- Step 5: Simmer Simmer white rice for 16-18 minutes, or 35-40 minutes for brown rice, until the water is absorbed.
- Step 6: Fluff and serve Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- FACT: There are more than 7,000 varieties of rice grown around the world.
You Will Need
- Long-grain rice
- A heavy saucepan with lid
- Butter or olive oil