- Step 1: Mold 2 balls Mold the foam into two balls. Make one of the balls about the size of your fist (for the porcupine’s body). Make the other ball a bit smaller (for the head).
- TIP: Make sure your hands and the surface you’re working on are clean. This will keep the foam clean.
- Step 2: Stick together Stick the two balls together.
- TIP: You can mix the foam to make new colors.
- Step 3: Cut pip cleaners Get help cutting several pipe cleaners, each one into three pieces.
- Step 4: Create spines Stick the pieces of pipe cleaner all over the porcupine’s body to create spines.
- TIP: You can make lots of other animals with two balls of foam and different objects. Curl a pipe cleaner to make a piggy’s tail, or create a duck by sticking a feather in the back and one on each side for wings.
- Step 5: Put on eyes & nose Put a pair of googly eyes on the head, add a button for the nose, and say hello to your prickly new pal.
- FACT: Porcupines have about 30,000 quills.
You Will Need
- Moldable sculpting foam
- Assorted pipe cleaners
- A pair of scissors
- A grown-up
- A pair of googly eyes
- And a small button