- Step 1: Place paper sideways Place the paper on the flat surface with the long edges at the top and bottom.
- TIP: 8 ½" x 11" printer paper works well, but the cover (or a page) of a magazine works even better—and it's a great way to recycle.
- Step 2: Fold long edge to opposite edge and unfold Fold one long edge to the opposite long edge, crease, then unfold.
- Step 3: Fold longs edge to center and unfold Fold one long edge to meet the center crease you just made. Now do the same with the other long edge, so they both meet in the center. Unfold completely.
- Step 4: Fold short edge to opposite edge and unfold Rotate your paper and fold one short edge to the opposite short edge. Unfold.
- Step 5: Fold short edge to center Fold each short edge to meet the center crease similar to Steps 1 and 2. Do not unfold.
- Step 6: Fold corner nearest bottom right-hand crease Orient the paper so that one of the long folded edges is closest to you. There should be three vertical creases in your paper. Starting at the bottom of the right hand crease, fold the nearest corner so that the folded edge lines up along the nearest vertical crease. Crease hard through all the layers.
- Step 7: Repeat creasing. Repeat this creasing on the three remaining corners.
- TIP: You should now have a football shape with four triangular corners, two short edges, and two long, loose edges in the center of the model.
- Step 8: Fold loose edge away from center Fold one of the loose edges as far as it will go away from the center (over two of the triangles), bending the two small end tabs over to 'lock' the edge in place. Repeat with the other edge.
- Step 9: Lift up box Place your thumbs inside and under the hemmed edge, and gently lift upwards to open up the box.
- Step 10: Pinch corners Pinch each corner and you’re done. Now make another one for a lid!
- FACT: Did you know? Origami began in China and later caught on in Japan, where documents were folded in order to "certify" and secure them.
You Will Need
- A sheet of rectangular paper
- A flat surface
- The cover or a page from a magazine (optional)