Reduce your chances of getting a nasty shock that's not just annoying, but potentially dangerous.
Step 1: Wear cotton Wear clothes made from cotton and other natural fibers, which are low-static materials.
Step 2: Go barefoot Wear leather-soled shoes or go barefoot if you're getting shocked indoors. Synthetic-fiber, rugs and rubber shoe soles can react to create static electricity.
Step 3: Touch nonconductive material Touch nonconductive material to reduce static buildup, including wood or concrete. Touching metal, water, or another person when your body is highly charged has the opposite effect and may give you a shock.
Step 4: Use a humidifier Use a humidifier or put out a bowl of water in very dry rooms. Static charge build-up is enhanced when the air is dry.
Step 5: Use dryer sheets Rub your car seats or upholstered furniture with dryer sheets if static is a problem there.
Step 6: Touch door frame Avoid potentially dangerous shocks while pumping gas by touching the vehicle's metal doorframe before you get out of the car. Hold the metal until you are completely out of the car.
TIP: Don't re-enter the car while fueling. If you must, discharge static again before touching the pump.
Step 7: Use your key Touch a key to another metal object to painlessly discharge build up before you touch anything with your hands.
FACT: After removing a hat, hairs receive the same positive charge, which repel each other, causing hair to stand up.