- Step 1: Fill cup Fill the cup with water.
- TIP: Use equal parts acetone and water to speed the process.
- Step 2: Place in bell jar Place the cup inside the bell jar.
- Step 3: Connect to vacuum pump Connect the bell jar to the vacuum pump and turn it on.
- Step 4: Watch the water bubble Watch the water begin to bubble.
- Step 5: Watch the water turn into ice Watch the water turn into ice as the warmer molecules escape into the vacuum and the cooler molecules clump together to form ice in the cup.
- FACT: The lower the air pressure, the lower the boiling point of water. If the pressure is low enough, water will boil at room temperature.
You Will Need
- Bell jar
- Vacuum pump
- Acetone (optional)