- Step 1: Provide balanced diet Provide healthy food choices that will give your child the nutrients necessary for growth and development such as protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Step 2: Lead by example Inspire your kids to eat healthily through your own willpower. Explain to them why exercising and eating healthy foods are important to you.
- Step 3: Cut snacks Cut up healthy snacks such as carrots, celery, and melon and put them in baggies in the refrigerator. These are great snacks for kids on the go.
- TIP: Pack an extra snack in your child's backpack or lunchbox to help them avoid temptations at the vending machine.
- Step 4: Read labels Teach your child how to read food labels, which provide calorie counts, serving sizes, and other nutritional facts.
- Step 5: Avoid sugary drinks Avoid serving soft drinks, energy drinks, and juices that contain caffeine, added sugar, and artificial flavoring. Offer healthy choices such as milk or water.
- Step 6: Cook together Involve your child in planning, selecting, and cooking meals. They will learn about all the healthy ingredients that go in their food.
- Step 7: Eat together Enjoy family meals on a regular basis. This is a great time to talk about your day.
- FACT: A 12 ounce can of soft drink contains 10 teaspoons of sugar.
You Will Need
- Healthy foods
- Milk or water
- A family meal plan