- Step 1: Avoid sun exposure Avoid midday sun exposure from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., when the sun's rays are the strongest.
- Step 2: Wear a hat Wear a hat that keeps your scalp, neck, and ears sheltered from the sun.
- Step 3: Wear sunglasses Wear sunglasses with UV ray protection.
- Step 4: Stay covered Stay covered with long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Avoid sheer fabrics.
- Step 5: Wear sunscreen Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Use a higher SPF if you have a fair complexion.
- TIP: Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going in the sun and reapply every two to three hours when swimming or sweating.
- Step 6: Apply lip balm Wear lip balm with a minimum SPF 30.
- Step 7: Take a break Take frequent breaks from the sun and sit in the shade or go indoors.
- Step 8: Avoid tanning beds Avoid tanning beds, which increase your chances of developing skin cancer.
- FACT: In the United States, one in five people will develop skin cancer – the most common form of cancer.
You Will Need
- A hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Lip balm