- Step 1: Interrupt the person Interrupt the person politely during a pause in the conversation and take control of the discussion.
- Step 2: Comment on situation Make a comment on your surroundings. This can help redirect a conversation if a discussion stalls or becomes uncomfortable.
- Step 3: Give them a compliment Give the person speaking a compliment on their appearance or attitude, which will change the focus of the discussion.
- Step 4: Ask how and why questions Ask a how or why question about another topic to open up a different conversation.
- TIP: Be confident and look them in the eye when speaking.
- Step 5: Start a new conversation Start a new conversation with someone else if you're with other people and the one who’s talking becomes obsessive about something dull.
- FACT: Spending 10 minutes talking to another person can help improve your memory.
You Will Need