- : Acid can cause severe damage to human tissue. Use extreme caution when handling these chemicals.
- Step 1: Fill a glass and add sodium hydroxide Fill a glass with 4 ounces of water and use a medicine dropper to add two drops of sodium hydroxide solution.
- Step 2: Place phenolphthalein in glass Place three drops of phenolphthalein solution into one of the empty glasses.
- TIP: When dropping the phenolphthalein into the glass, hide the drops by swirling it around the glass to coat the inside.
- Step 3: Place acid into glass Place three drops of hydrochloric acid into the other empty glass. Be sure to keep track of which glass is which.
- Step 4: Pour water into phenolphthalein glass Pour the water and sodium hydroxide solution into the glass with the phenolphthalein solution to make the water turn red.
- Step 5: Pour "wine" into acid glass Pour the red water, or "wine," into the glass with the hydrochloric acid to neutralize the phenolphthalein and return it to its clear state. Stand back and enjoy the applause.
- FACT: A lot of seven bottles of 1978 Montrachet sold at auction in 2001 for $167,500.
You Will Need
- A glass of water
- A medicine dropper
- 1 molar sodium hydroxide solution
- Two empty glasses
- 3 molar hydrochloric acid