- Step 1: Find cheap lodging Find a free or low-cost place to live. Search online for house-sitting positions both seasonal (such as for beach and ski houses) and full time (as a caretaker).
- Step 2: Frequent thrift stores Buy your clothes and furnishings at thrift stores. If you check them out frequently, you’ll find great stuff.
- TIP: Keep an eye out for bargains with resale value, like kitchen appliances, that you can flip online after a little repair.
- Step 3: Eat what's in season Eat only what’s in season—it’s plentiful and cheap. Plan meals around what’s on sale, clip coupons, and use foods that give you more nutritional bang for your buck, like beans.
- TIP: One week a month, forego grocery shopping and just focus on finishing what’s in your fridge and cupboards. You’ll be amazed how much this will save you.
- Step 4: Drink tap water Drink mostly tap water. You’ll be richer and healthier.
- Step 5: Forget the car Whenever possible, walk or bike to your destination. Get rid of your car if you can. Bonus: if you do this, you won’t need a gym membership.
- FACT: Research shows that most millionaires live well below their means.
You Will Need
- Very little!