- Step 1: Research the genre Watch online videos and visit your local rink to watch JB skaters in action.
- Step 2: Select music Select the music you want for your choreography. While James Brown's tunes are widely used, any funky jam will do.
- TIP: JB skating, or jam skating, uses elements of hip-hop, crunk, jazz, gymnastics, and break dancing. Essential moves include spins, groundwork, footwork, and shuffling.
- Step 3: Learn basic moves Practice the basic moves of JB skating. Try the "toe jam skate," or "crazy legging." Begin with your right skate behind you, toe to the ground. Move your skates as if walking in place, keeping the toe to the ground. Pivot 180 degrees and pause, then return to your original position and repeat the motions.
- Step 4: Combine elements Combine elements once you have control of a few basic moves. Add jumps, somersaults, and falls to your routine.
- Step 5: Join a team Join a team once you have mastered some advanced moves. The United Jam Skating Teams of America holds competitions twice a year.
- FACT: James Brown was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on January 23, 1986.
You Will Need
- A computer with internet access
- A roller skating rink
- Funky music
- old-school roller skates
- A team