- Step 1: Make an equipment list Make a checklist of the items you will need before you go. The list should include shelter and sleeping equipment, cooking utensils, food, campsite tools, flashlights and lanterns, toiletries, a first-aid kit, and clothing.
- TIP: Plan on camping for more than one night. The longer your trip, the more likely you will reap the benefits of the effort you spend planning the trip.
- Step 2: Practice setting up your tent Practice putting up your tent and taking it down before you go. When choosing a tent, select one that is bigger than you think you’ll need.
- Step 3: Pack a first-aid kit Pack a first-aid kit. Make sure everyone knows where it is and how to use it.
- Step 4: Pack a shovel Pack a shovel. Shovels come in handy for lots of campsite chores, from leveling a campsite to tending a fire.
- Step 5: Prepare for all possible weather conditions Prepare for all possible weather conditions. Pack rain gear if there is any possibility that you will encounter rain on your trip.
- Step 6: Bring enough water Bring plenty of water if you will not have a local source at your campsite.
- Step 7: Camp with friends Camp with friends. If you forget to bring something, chances are someone in your party will have it.
- FACT: Camping is one of most popular outdoor vacation activities in the United States.
You Will Need
- A car
- A list of camping equipment
- A tent
- A first aid kit
- A shovel
- Rain gear