- Step 1: Offer support Offer support and friendship to the individual and be there for them when they need advice or just to talk.
- TIP: One of the most important things you can do for a depressed person is be there for them, unconditionally, and let them know they can count on you.
- Step 2: Suggest evaluation Suggest that the individual be evaluated and treated by a health care professional. Help them make and keep the appointment.
- Step 3: Educate yourself Educate yourself on the individual’s condition and what to expect during their treatment and recovery. You can find many helpful resources using the internet.
- Step 4: Support their treatment plan Support the individual’s treatment plan by helping them schedule appointments and follow medication schedules. Encourage them to stick to their plan.
- Step 5: Encourage and support positive activities Encourage and support activities with friends, family, colleagues, and support groups. Encourage hobbies.
- Step 6: Allow individual to make decisions Allow them to make decisions about social activities, like which movies to see or which restaurants to visit. This helps build confidence and self-esteem.
- Step 7: Give positive feedback Give the individual positive feedback and compliments on their progress as often as possible.
- Step 8: Feed your own soul Feed your own soul by taking time for yourself and your own interests.
- FACT: More than 20 million Americans have been diagnosed with depression.
You Will Need
- A caring
- supportive attitude
- A computer with internet access