- Step 1: Secure your doors Install solid core doors and secure them with heavy-duty locks. Fasten heavy-duty lock strike plates to the doorframes with 3-inch screws. Install deadbolt locks across from each door hinge.
- Step 2: Install window locks Install window pin locks to limit the distance the windows can open.
- Step 3: Install protective window film Place protective film on the windows to help prevent the glass from shattering should anyone try to break the window. Fit your windows with burglar alarms.
- TIP: Attach motion detectors to lights and appliances inside the house.
- Step 4: Install a peephole Install a peephole, preferably one with wide-angle vision, in your front door. Get in the habit of looking through it before opening the door, and keep your porch light on at night.
- FACT: The 1979 movie When a Stranger Calls, features the famous line, "We've traced the call. It's coming from inside the house!"
You Will Need
- Solid core doors
- Heavy-duty locks
- Lock strike plates
- 3-inch screws
- Deadbolt locks
- Window pin locks
- Protective glass film
- Burglar alarms
- A peephole
- A porch light
- Motion detectors (optional)