- Step 1: Draw stick figure Draw a stick figure side view of Jackson's dynamic movement, angling hips and shoulders in opposite directions, and adding arms. Position his head forward and bend the knees.
- Step 2: Add fedora and ears Add Jackson's signature fedora, centering it across the head, and angling the brim over the eyes and nose bridge. Center the ear on the head, just below the hat.
- TIP: Add accurate details of Jackson's hat, including a wide hatband and a lengthwise crease across the crown.
- Step 3: Sketch facial profile Sketch a facial profile beginning with the nose bulb, then adding full lips, a square jaw, and a neck. Study a Jackson photo to capture the correct proportions.
- Step 4: Add hands and clothes Add hands, placing the left hand at the crotch, creating folds in the pants that fall from this hand.
- Step 5: Sketch clothes Sketch in loose fitting clothes, adding folds to the shirt, jacket, and pants, reflecting movement. Add one glove and penny loafer shoes.
- TIP: Sketch Jackson's trademark sequined white glove on the right hand, the only hand he chose to cover.
- Step 6: Erase guidelines and shade Erase your initial stick figure guidelines and shade shadowed areas. Now, applaud yourself for your artistic accomplishment.
- FACT: Patent documents of Michael Jackson's antigravity shoes are among Jackson's media trademarks on exhibit at the National Inventors Hall of Fame Museum in Alexandria, Virginia.
You Will Need
- Graphite pencil
- Michael Jackson photo