- Step 1: Discuss your concern and ask questions Discuss your concern and ask your partner to talk about what they believe has caused their weight gain. Listen and try to understand what they are going through.
- TIP: Focus on their feelings and empathize with them. Avoid giving advice.
- Step 2: Address facts Address your concern for their health with facts about the impact of being overweight and obesity.
- Step 3: See a doctor Talk to a doctor with your partner about the issues associated with weight gain.
- Step 4: Let them take responsibility Let your partner take responsibility for their past decisions and how they can solve their problem.
- TIP: Don't tease them, make jokes about the issue, or nag them. Instead, be supportive.
- Step 5: Get rid of unhealthy food Get rid of unhealthy, tempting foods in the home and cook healthy meals together.
- TIP: Limit eating out, where ingredients and portion size are out of your control.
- Step 6: Take up a sport Engage in a sport or active hobby you both enjoy. It is a great way to have fun while being active.
- FACT: Globally, 1 billion adults are overweight and at least 300 million are clinically obese, according to the World Health Organization.
You Will Need
- Listening skills
- Facts about weight gain
- Healthy eating habits
- Healthy food preparation
- Sport or active hobby