- Step 1: Wash, condition, and dry hair Wash and condition your hair and dry it thoroughly. If you have curly or wavy hair, straighten it with a flat iron before crimping.
- Step 2: Protect hair Spray your hair with a heat protection mist to protect your hair shafts from the heat of the crimping iron.
- TIP: Crimping irons can be purchased at any major grocery or beauty supply store. They are typically available in 1- or 2-inch widths.
- Step 3: Separate hair Separate your hair into 2-inch sections. Crimp all of your hair for a dramatic look or select a few pieces just to highlight your face.
- Step 4: Use crimping iron Heat the crimping iron according to the manufacturer's specifications. Crimp your hair sections from the roots to the ends, holding the iron closed for about 4 seconds at a time.
- TIP: For a more natural look, crimp only the upper layer of hair, leaving the hair underneath straight.
- Step 5: Set hair Pull your hair back with an elastic band or hair pins to show off the crimping. Don’t forget to use hairspray to set your look.
- FACT: The women of Ancient Rome used rudimentary curling irons to fashion their intricate hairstyles.
You Will Need
- A flat iron
- Heat protection spray
- A crimping iron
- Hair pins
- Hair elastics