- Step 1: Read the signs Read the signs that they’re gathering up the courage to kiss you, so you’ll be prepared to dodge their lips. Telltale clues include becoming touchy-feely, looking at your lips, and invading your personal space.
- Step 2: Create distance Create some distance. Literally and figuratively. Take a step back from them, and change the topic of conversation to something unsexy—like your earwax problem.
- Step 3: Play the friend card Emphasize that you see them as nothing more than a friend by saying so, as in, 'I'm so glad I have you as a friend.'
- Step 4: Be slightly rude Point out people that you find attractive, or start talking exclusively to someone else. This way, you demonstrate that you don’t see the other person in a romantic context.
- Step 5: Stay in public Don’t let them get you alone. Chances are they won’t make a pass at you with other people around.
- TIP: If you’re coming home from a bad date and can’t bear the idea of a goodnight kiss, get your house keys out ahead of time and make a beeline for your front door.
- Step 6: Give a hug Give a preemptive hug. Pat them on the back for an added 'friendly' touch.
- Step 7: Dodge If all your hints have failed and their lips are looming, turn your head so that the kiss lands on your cheek or ear. It’ll make them feel stupid, but, hey, at least they'll know the truth.
- FACT: Four percent of American adults have never been kissed.
You Will Need