- Step 1: Be responsible Show your parents how responsible you are by maintaining a high grade point average, keeping your room clean, and taking care of yourself.
- Step 2: Have a family meeting Set up a family meeting to gauge your parents' openness to the idea. Be positive and keep your temper. Blowing up and getting angry won't convince them of you maturity.
- Step 3: Invite the person over Invite the person over for dinner so your parents can meet them and see how responsible they are.
- TIP: Make sure they bring a token gift for your parents or a dish to pass.
- Step 4: Emphasize good qualities Emphasize the good things about them, such as their education or job, but don't lie or try to hide anything. They'll eventually find out anyway.
- Step 5: Tell them they're more mature Explain to your parents that older people are more mature. Instead of going to keg parties, they can take you to the theater.
- Step 6: Obey parents' rules Show your parents that the person is responsible and respectful by making sure they obey your parents' rules, such as curfew and driving rules.
- Step 7: Suggest a group date Suggest a group date if your parents won't let you go out alone. Your parents are concerned about your safety, and there's safety in numbers.
- FACT: In 2000, there were approximately 18.4 million Americans between the ages of 65 to 74, according to the U.S. Census.
You Will Need
- A family meeting
- A dinner together
- A group date
- A token gift (optional)
- A dish to pass (optional)