- Step 1: Buy a secure lock Buy a lock that cannot be easily snipped with a bolt-cutter or sawed off with a hacksaw. Choose a narrow, case-hardened U-lock.
- TIP: A narrow lock makes it harder for thieves to use their tools to break the lock.
- Step 2: Lock in secure area Lock your bike in a well-lit area and near other bikes.
- Step 3: Take off the front wheel] Remove the front wheel and place it next to the back wheel and the bike's frame.
- TIP: Read your bike's manual to learn how to correctly remove your front wheel.
- Step 4: Lock your bike Place a U-lock around the front wheel, back wheel, and frame, and then secure them to a heavy object, such as a parking meter or permanent bike rack that is stuck to the ground.
- Step 5: Position lock Position the lock with the keyhole facing the ground
- Step 6: Double up Use a second lock for added security.
- FACT: More bikes are stolen from a person’s home than any other location.
You Will Need
- A narrow
- case-hardened U-lock
- A parking meter or bike rack
- Your bike owner's manual (optional)
- A second U-lock (optional)