- Step 1: Don’t panic Do not panic. Panic will only distort your judgment and increase your chances of causing an accident.
- TIP: Steer the car to the shoulder of the road. You do not want to stop in the middle of traffic.
- Step 2: Depress pedals Depress the clutch and brake pedals simultaneously.
- Step 3: Put the car in neutral Place the shifter in neutral.
- Step 4: Turn the key to start Turn the key to the start position until the engine is running. You may need to repeat this several times.
- Step 5: Move the shifter to first Move the shifter to first gear.
- Step 6: Work the pedals Slowly remove your foot from the clutch while slowly pressing down on the gas pedal. Proceed slowly.
- Step 7: Drive Continue on your merry way.
- FACT: In 1904 the Sturtevant brothers invented the first automatic transmission.
You Will Need
- A car with a manual transmission
- A cool head