- Step 1: Build a fire Build a wood fire and let it form hot coals.
- Step 2: Wash some pebbles Wash a bucket of smooth pebbles about the size of peas and place them in the Dutch oven.
- TIP: Don't dry the pebbles before placing them in the oven. The water on the pebbles will steam the potatoes.
- Step 3: Place the sweet potatoes in the pebbles Place several sweet potatoes into the pebbles so that pebbles partially cover the potatoes.
- Step 4: Place the oven on the coals Cover the Dutch oven and place it on the hot coals. Move some of the coals to the top of the oven.
- Step 5: Cook the sweet potatoes Allow the sweet potatoes to cook in the oven for an hour, and then remove them with the tongs. Enjoy them as a side or a main dish.
- FACT: The sweet potato originated in the Americas and was introduced to Japan by way of China around 1700 C.E.
You Will Need
- A wood fire
- A bucket
- Smooth pebbles
- A Dutch oven