- Step 1: Choose belt Choose a belt that is environmentally friendly, such as organic cotton or hemp.
- TIP: Avoid braided belts, belts with large buckles or studs, and leather belts, which shrink if they get wet.
- Step 2: Measure Measure your pet’s neck, add 2 inches, and mark the length on the belt with the marker.
- Step 3: Make a hole Use the awl and hammer to make a hole at your mark.
- Step 4: Trim and round the collar Trim the belt 3 inches past the hole with the shears. Round the corners and trim loose threads with the shears.
- Step 5: Test the fit and attach tags Slip a couple of fingers between the collar and your pet's neck to test for fit. Make sure the collar is secure but not too tight. Then attach the pet’s ID tag and go for a walk to show off their new collar.
- FACT: Research shows that babies can tell the difference between an angry and a friendly dog bark, despite having little or no previous exposure to dogs.
You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- ID tag