- Step 1: Use blue or black Use a blue or black pen to fill out the job application.
- TIP: Make sure that your printing is neat and legible.
- Step 2: Give your history Communicate your education and work history accurately, being sure to explain any gaps.
- TIP: Bring along a fact sheet with work details, contact numbers, addresses, and references to help you fill out the application.
- Step 3: Be honest Be honest at all times when filling out the application. Lies and embellishments are eventually discovered.
- Step 4: Apply specifically Apply for a specific position, rather than leaving it open-ended.
- Step 5: Don’t leave blanks Fill out every section of the application, being sure not to leave any empty sections.
- TIP: For sections that do not apply, simply write "N/A," or draw three consecutive dashes.
- Step 6: Sign Sign and date the application.
- Step 7: Double check Proofread your application before turning it in.
- Step 8: Submit Submit your application to the hiring manager with a copy of your resume.
- FACT: The U.S. unemployment rate hit a 26-year high of 9.6 percent in August 2009.
You Will Need
- Blue or black pen
- Fact sheet (optional)