- Step 1: Top and peel eggplant Cut the top from the eggplant with a kitchen knife, and then peel the skin off with a paring knife.
- Step 2: Slice the eggplant Slice the eggplant into ½-inch slices.
- Step 3: Place in colander Place the eggplant slices in your colander and sprinkle them with salt, making sure to cover every slice. Then weigh down the eggplant with a large pot for at least one hour to flatten it.
- TIP: Spread the slices on a towel and pat them dry before frying
- Step 4: Fry the eggplant Fry the eggplant in vegetable oil in a large frying pan until the slices are golden brown.
- Step 5: Transfer back to colander Replace the fried slices to the colander and serve as a nutritious side dish.
- FACT: Eggplant is a fruit, and is classified botanically as a berry.
You Will Need
- An eggplant
- A paring knife
- A colander
- A large pot
- Vegetable oil
- A kitchen towel (optional)