- Step 1: Find a win-win activity Check out the latest events guide for your town and ask your partner to note whatever sounds appealing; you do the same. With any luck, there will be enough duplication for several win-win outings.
- Step 2: Get the dopamine flowing Focus on activities neither of you has tried before. New experiences flood the brain with dopamine and norepinephrine, the same chemicals that are released when you're infatuated. Studies show that sharing exciting new experiences makes couples feel more satisfied with their relationship.
- Step 3: Eat by candlelight Eat by candlelight. It dilates your pupils, which is what happens naturally when you're physically attracted to someone. Inducing this reaction artificially gets you to the same place – injecting a little sexual tension into the evening.
- Step 4: Make it feel illicit Make it feel illicit by rendezvousing at a swanky bar or local hotel.
- TIP: Hotels that cater to business people often have reasonable weekend rates.
- Step 5: Include sex Hotel or not, make sure the date includes sex! Orgasms cause the brain to release oxytocin, the so-called "cuddling" chemical that makes us feel bonded.
- Step 6: Bring chocolate Whatever you do, bring chocolate, which contains phenylethylamine, a chemical the body produces when we are in love. It also contains cannabinoids, marijuana-like compounds that help you relax. Have fun!
- FACT: President Barack Obama fulfilled a campaign promise to his wife, Michelle, when he flew her to New York City for dinner and a show for their "date night."
You Will Need
- A local events guide
- New experiences
- A hotel bar
- Side-by-side seating (optional)
- A hotel room (optional)