- Step 1: Find a balance Find a balance. Never mentioning your exes can seem like you're hiding something, but talking about them constantly indicates you're still hung up on them.
- Step 2: Be honest about contact Be honest about any current contact you have with your exes. Lying about talking to an ex may seem like a good way out of an awkward conversation, but it could cause serious complications later on.
- Step 3: Avoid comparisons Avoid comparing the present to the past. If your partner asks for a comparison, defuse it with a non-threatening observation
- TIP: When talking about sex, don't get specific about other partners. Detailed info could lead to feelings of inadequacy for your partner.
- Step 4: Create new associations Don't associate places or objects with your ex. Discussing your past may be necessary, but ruining something by talking about how special it was for you and your ex isn't.
- Step 5: Don't linger on heartbreak When discussing a previous relationship don't linger on the heartbreak. Talking about how painful the breakup was can give the impression you haven't moved on.
- Step 6: Be positive Enjoy the closeness of an honest but sensitive relationship. After satisfying their curiosity the smart way, you and your partner will feel more secure than ever!
- FACT: In a poll, 28 percent of people admitted talking about their exes on a first date.
You Will Need