- Step 1: Spread the charcoal Dump your charcoal into the bottom of the grill and construct a pyramid. The tip of the pyramid should extend to just below where your grate will rest.
- TIP: Open the vents on the grill for air circulation.
- Step 2: Spread the lighter fluid Spread your lighter fluid evenly around all the charcoal.
- Step 3: Light the charcoal Light the charcoal with a match. Disperse the flames by lighting different spots in the charcoal pyramid.
- TIP: Never add lighter fluid to flaming charcoal.
- Step 4: Spread out the coals Spread out the charcoal evenly in the bottom of the grill once the charcoal is hot. You'll be able to tell by the ashen color and glowing embers.
- Step 5: Place the grate Place the grate down over the charcoal and begin grilling your food.
- FACT: Charcoal has been used in blast furnaces to smelt iron since the Iron Age.
You Will Need
- A grill
- Lighter fluid