- Step 1: Lay out the paper Fold a sheet of newspaper in half on your work surface.
- TIP: The bigger the paper, the bigger the hat. Experiment to find the right-sized paper.
- Step 2: Keep the fold at the top Arrange the folded paper in front of you so that the fold is at the top and the opening is at the bottom.
- Step 3: Fold the corners Fold the two top corners to the middle of the paper so that you form a point on top.
- Step 4: Fold the brim Fold the top sheet of the bottom, open end upward and over the flaps you folded down. Double the fold and then turn the hat over to fold the other side.
- Step 5: Add the chinstrap Punch holes in either side of the hat, thread an elastic cord through the holes, and tie it for the chinstrap.
- Step 6: Customize your hat Customize your hat with streamers, crayons, or other decorations to make each child’s hat unique.
- FACT: Napoleon wore his bicorn hat with the two horizontal points parallel to his shoulders to distinguish himself from other officers on the battlefield.
You Will Need
- Flat work surface
- Elastic cord
- Hole punch
- Hat decorations