- Step 1: Prepare strawberries Wash the strawberries and remove their tops. Slice them lengthwise into pieces and place half of them into the pastry shell, setting the rest aside.
- TIP: To avoid a runny pie, do not soak the strawberries in water.
- Step 2: Start the filling Mash the remaining strawberries and combine them with the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Step 3: Add cornstarch Whisk together the cornstarch and water and then gradually stir this mixture into the boiling strawberry mixture.
- Step 4: Let thicken Reduce the heat and simmer and stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- TIP: Add 2 tablespoons white corn syrup to the pan to achieve a thicker sugary glaze.
- Step 5: Fill pie shell Let the filling cool and then pour it into the pastry shell.
- Step 6: Add the finishing touch Chill the pie in your freezer before serving. Add a dollop of whipped cream for an ultimate delight.
- FACT: The commonly cultivated strawberry originated in Europe in the 18th century.
You Will Need
- Baked 9-inch pastry shell
- 4 c. sliced strawberries
- 1 c. white sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- u00be c. water
- Whipped cream
- 2 tbsp. white corn syrup (optional)